Here is a collection of my advice of what to do if you are hit with a fraudulent charge:

  1. Call your bank with the number on the back of your card and tell them that there is a fraudulent charge on your card and that you insist that they issue you a new card with a new number and make sure that they indicate, "account closed at consumer's request" for credit report purposes.  Do not let them leave your same account number active!  If you don't want to wait a week for your new number, ask them to expedite your new card.  If you bank is disrespectful or will not close your account immediately, I would suggest demanding they close it permanently and go find a bank that will treat you as a good customer.  Then follow the Federal Law explained below to protect you from being responsible for the charge.

  2. Report the fraud to the Feds at; fill in as much information as you know (which isn't much!).

  3. Sort through your last 3 (or more) credit card/bank statements to see which charges are setup to be automatic.  Make a list and change to the new number.

Here is what the Secret Service recommends that we do (although I haven't done):

  1. Report the crime to the police immediately. Get a copy of your police report.

  2. Call the fraud units of the three credit reporting bureaus. (Click here for contact information.)  Report the theft of your credit cards and/or numbers. Ask that your accounts be flagged. Also, add a victim's statement to your report that requests that they contact you to verify future credit applications.

See the Federal Law page for even more things to do, which include:

  1. Write (certified mail) to the creditor at the address given for "billing inquiries," not the address for sending your payments, and include your name, address, account number and a description of the billing error.

  2. Send your letter so that it reaches the creditor within 60 days after the first bill containing the error was mailed to you. 

Here are some optional things you could choose to do:

  1. Report the fraud to your government representatives, let them know that this is widespread.  Here is a site to help you do that-- .

  2. Report this to your state's Attorney General (search on Google for their website).

  3. Report this to the FTC.

  4. Tell any media contacts you might have that this is important for them to cover; many in your town might not notice the charge.

  5. Bug your bank and ask them if they have found any more information yet.


I am a normal guy that was hit with this fraud trying to help.  This website does not offer legal advice and is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, professional or other advice or services. You should not act or rely upon any of the information or other resources available through the website without seeking professional advice.